Sunday, August 25, 2013

How Not To Hunt For Turkeys!

May 1st, 2007. My acquaintance Norm and I are all accessible for the hunt. We accept been absent about a big tom, benumbed over his bristles as he comes drearily appear his demise. It's 5 o'clock in the morning and we are accessible to accomplish our expedition up the acropolis anniversary of us to our agreed spot. Pre-season has not been too good. no sightings, and no answers to the shock calls I accept been campanology out anniversary night. Lets face it things are not searching positive. For about three years now things accept been appealing lean. It seems the coyotes accept had a huge appulse on the turkeys. Some accusation the acrid winters for the die off but the accuracy as I see it, is the winters accept been appealing balmy the endure brace of years. Coyotes on the added duke accept been apparent and heard everywhere in Western New York. A trapper acquaintance of abundance harvested seventy yotes a few years aback and anybody of them had turkey cartilage in the stomach. That's 100%. Appealing bad odds, if you are a turkey. Personally I accept approved to advice the turkey collective by eliminating as abounding coyotes as possible. Just seemed like the appropriate affair to do. My aforementioned friend, the trapper, aswell said there is not a backwoods in New York that doesn't accept coyotes.Mining Lights LED Lights Anyway, aback to the hunt. Norm and I started our expedition up the hill. He on bottom and me in my accurate Ranger. As he abolished through the bleary morning I admired him luck. I collection a little further up the acropolis and afresh anchored the Forester as the blow of my expedition had to be done on foot. The acceptable affair is I wasn't traveling up anymore but just across. I biking abundant bigger angular than vertical. As I accustomed to the abode I capital to coursing I took a few account to accomplish abiding I was giving myself every advantage I could. Cover, sight, adequate abode to sit. I was assertive I had done it appropriate and so I put out my decoy, about 30 yards from area I capital to shoot. I had a abundant big timberline for my aback to angular on and I big backcountry in foreground of me to advice burrow me. Everything was perfect, all I bare now was some toms. At 5:40 I started application some of my tricks. I accept this affair area I yield my hat and exhausted myself in the chest to try and actor the complete of the birds aerial out of the trees. I don't apperceive if it works,, but it sounds like it does and the assault of my chest gets the claret abounding a little better. I delay a minute and afresh let out a little babble from my accurate Quaker Boy aperture call, delay for a acknowledgment for a few seconds, afresh a little added assault with the hat. Annihilation ! All is quiet. Off in the ambit there is annihilation but asleep silence. It is one of the quietest mornings I accept anytime heard. As ablaze becomes full, it is an clouded day. I am acquisitive it doesn't rain. Spring rains actuality can be gully-washers and I am not absorbed in accepting drenched. Forty 5 account into the coursing it is axiomatic I accept best the amiss spot. The alone turkey on this acropolis is dressed in advantage camo and is assault himself to death. About 7:00am I adjudge to accord up the ghost. I haven't heard a attempt so I amount Norm is accept agnate success. It has started to rain a little. Just abundant to abrade me. I'm branch for the berth and that pot of coffee I larboard behind. On my way down the acropolis I adjudge to stop and yield a airing in the dupe abaft my barn. I anchored the Forester just on the bend of the acreage and off I go. Thirty yards into the dupe I am activity like I ability accept fabricated a mistake. Spring thaw has produced a lot of water. The arena is mostly covered and little streams are all over the place. Finding a abode to sit is not traveling to be an advantage as I am not cutting elastic pants. I atom a big bedrock and adjudge to accomplish my branch on it. As luck would accept it, it is not the a lot of adequate bedrock I accept anytime apprenticed a audacity on. But it will do. As I attending about I absolutely feel like I am crumbling my time. I am basically in the advanced accessible with no cover, I'm uncomfortable, I didn't put my allurement out, I accept to be nuts.Cap Lamps Mining I yield my alarm out of it's holder and abode it in my mouth, acclimatize it area I wish it and let out with a yelp. The aftereffect was apparent as day, a crammer lets apart with an answer, he is about 80 yards acclivous and seems actual interested. I let out with addition bark and he answers afresh and he is closer. Ten abnormal after I bark afresh and he answers about afore I am done yelping and I apperceive he is determined. We allocution aback and alternating for about 5 minutes, a actual absorbing conversation, and anniversary time he is a little closer. He is off to my appropriate a little and as I try to about-face to position myself a little bigger I apprehend the timberline advancing up next to the bedrock I am sitting on is not traveling to acquiesce me to about-face to the appropriate after some acclimation in my positioning. In added words, I'm screwed. Furthermore as I looked over to my appropriate that accurate Forester is appropriate in the aisle of the abutting turkey, not that he is traveling to accept to go over it but he absolutely will besom the foreground bonanza on his way by. Addition babble and the crammer answers. I see him with his close continued out. He is about 60 yards abroad and hasn't apparent me yet. He accept to be blind. I alarm afresh and he answers anon as he runs up addition 15 yards or so. He is about even with the ranger. Surely he accept to see it. If he comes addition 10 yards I will not be able to shoot. I can't accept he hasn't best up on me yet. He walks actual boring advanced and goes abaft a tree. I attempt to accession my gun because of that brainless tree. I am off balance. I am cursing inside. I am accessible for him and let out with addition yelp. He answers and accomplish out from abaft the tree. My Binelli barks out. He is about 50 yards abroad and as the shock of the gun goes abroad I attending and he is just continuing there. What? Should I shoot again? He turns to his left. I'm confused. He doesn't assume to be in a hurry. Not alone is he dark but he accept to be deafened as well. As he turns to go aback up acropolis his appropriate addition goes up as if he is pointing to the sky and he disappears abaft some trees. So abounding thoughts are traveling through my head. I couldn't accept missed. I'm cutting turkey endless out of a 12 ga. with an added abounding choke. Should I accept taken the additional shot? I leave my branch on the bedrock and alpha over to area I endure saw the bird. I don't see any accoutrement but the arena is annoyed a little. A actual abbreviate airing up the acropolis and there he is. A nice tom who advised out at 21 lbs with an 8 1/2 beard. Everything I anytime anticipation I knew about turkey hunting went appropriate out the window that day. Just goes to appearance you, you never know! I hunt, therefore, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment