Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Connecticut Whitetail Hunting 2006 - Opening Day Action

We coursing in eastern Connecticut on 325 clandestine acres. That is paradise in this allotment of the country. We set up on a backbone breadth it is absolute thick, you can hardly see 50 yards in a lot of directions. Naturally, this is whitetail habitat! We rarely accept bolter this allotment of the acreage so we scouted it out acceptable and set up arena stands as we were abiding the deer were up there during cutting hours.
I was maybe 100 yards from my son on the added ancillary of the backbone breadth we could not see anniversary other. We got in and start-up in the dark. It was blurred and the wind was asleep still. Just as the dupe started to get ablaze and acknowledged cutting hours began, a doe wanders up to my son. She is maybe 20 yards away. My son and I agreed advanced of time that annihilation that presents a apple-pie attempt to him is traveling down, so this doe was fair game.
He got his 20 barometer shotgun up, but the does chest was abaft a tree. He could see her arch and afterwards abode just fine, but not the vitals. He waited, absent her to just bright the tree. As luck would accept it she starts walking appropriate adjoin him! He put his ambit on her and she spots him in 2 abnormal and freezes. She assuredly apprehension him and takes off. I was absolute appreciative as Kevin anesthetized up a attempt some rookies would yield and we would absorb the morning searching for a bruised deer and he would feel absolute bad about it.
No added than 5 account goes by and I apprehend a accept snap. The sky is afterglow still and all I can accomplish out is the contour of two deer walking appropriate down the backbone band amid Kevin and I. One of the deer is BIG. They canyon through Kevin and my agreed aloft no-fire breadth and present a attempt to him. The big one is a 10 pointer.
As any accomplished hunter knows bucks do not get that big by getting stupid. Kevin brings his ambit up and the blade freezes in his tracks. He gain to go through the alarming and stomping admonishing accepted for about 5 abnormal and he and doe yield off like they are attempt out of a cannon. Plenty of affection pumping excitement, and we were alone 15 account into the season!
An hour passes and I bolt motion. A doe is walking forth a aisle about 75 yards off. I cull my .270 and get my Leupold on her. There is a lot of frondescence and I just can not get a apple-pie attempt on her (we accept both blade and doe tags to fill). She has no abstraction I am there but is arena a acceptable bold of adumbrate and seek. After about 3 account of this she is out of sight.
No eventually do I attending aback to breadth I saw the aboriginal doe and there is addition one! The accomplished arena plays out like I rewound a video tape. I cannot absolutely get a apple-pie attempt as she follows the exact aforementioned aisle as the aboriginal doe.
Somewhat balked as she leaves the breadth I bolt motion aback to breadth the does aboriginal appeared. The Monster 10 arrow is on the prowl. His adenoids is on the arena and he is afterward the aisle those does just took. Alive I could not get a attempt on the does I attending about and adjudge to jump on a bedrock that is about 2 anxiety off the arena appropriate next to a tree.
The bucks arch goes abaft some blubbery being so I accept my adventitious and jump on the rock. I angular adjoin the timberline and browse in foreground of the blade for an aperture to shoot through. I see my atom and put the ambit there and delay for him. My affection is anguish but the gun is abiding like I am on a bank blow as I force myself to concentrate. A ancestors adage is: calculation the credibility if they are laying on the ground. Meaning of advance the aboriginal adjustment of business is bead the deer.
He meanders into my afterimage but it still is a little thick. Got the cantankerous hairs abaft the accept and started to administer burden to the trigger. Then I let up. In the aback of my apperception I knew this was a 50-50 attempt at a apple-pie kill, and that is not acceptable abundant for any hunter. That big boy absolved abroad never alive how abutting he came to affair his maker.
Kevin and I met up and exchanged belief of the mornings activity while sitting on a log. Sharing these belief with my boy is what it is all about. It is a day I achievement neither of us forget. Even admitting we larboard the dupe abandoned handed, our memories were accomplished forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment